Tuesday, March 31, 2015

April Commeth

As we enter the last day of March, I want to remind you that like New Years, April Fools Day is for amateurs Be careful with your comedy and try not to hurt anyone who doesn't deserve it. Feel free to make Indiana jokes. I know plenty of good people in Indiana but they have a Governor who has some of the biggest Gay bashers in the country surround him at a signing ceremony then claims the bill he signed doesn't do what it says it does. Now he says they need to clarify things. He should have waited until tomorrow to announce that one! In this country, you can form a church based on Aliens, one based on tablets buried on a farm, one based on predicting doomsday, one based on hating everyone who does not look and think like you. Hypothetically, I am free to believe women should not vote. I am not free to stop them from voting.If you think about the lunch counters of the 50's you can just substitute the Gay Population for the African American s to see what will be legal in Indiana. Thankfully, the backlash is very strong and is affecting economics of the state. When you get into someones pocket, they pay attention. Enough soapbox. Moving on....

Not too much excitement in the studio this week. I have been trying to make some footed wine glasses but am hesitant to make a bunch until I have fired some successfully.

I like where these are going and hopefully by next week I'll have some finished ones to show you. I am taking about 20 oz of clay and throwing a cup with a large ring of clay left at the foot. I then heat gun the top of the cup, flip it over and stick it to the wheel with a little water and throw the foot. If I need to make the curve a little more fair, I can also do a little trimming. If I decide to make a run of them, I'll skip the heat gun and let them air dry with the foot covered so that part stays soft. There are other ways to make these but I like the smooth curve that this one gives. We'll have to see how they finish out.

Other than that, I have been trying to get some pots to dry in a cold studio for bisque firing. I have a load crammed full so I have been cleaning up to get ready for glazing later this week. It is cooling now so I took a few minutes for an old murder ballad. Although it is set on the Ohio River, I like to think that it probably happened in some God forsaken place like Indiana. Ohioans have too much respect for the rights of others to act this way.

3 comments:

  1. I am the same I only make a few or one to see if I like it then I make more, that is unless I go crazy for some reason. Ha. Yeah for April and warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see more of those tumblers, wine glasses.
    I used to confront people over bashing whatever there is to bash. Now I just take my proposed purchases to a sales counter, smile and say, "I can't possibly shop in a place that allows this kind of speech." Walk out and leave the merchandise for the clerks to restock!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the currency of the Blogosphere. Remember to tip your waiter.