Thursday, February 13, 2014

As Promised

As promised, it is time to revisit Seagrove, N. C. The entire area down there is currently buried in white death that will be the end of southern living as they know it but we will go back to a happier time, last Saturday. Saturday was a very nice day for a trip. My daughter Kate, her friend Margie and I left Charlotte about 8:30 and took rt. 49 to Asheboro then headed south to Seagrove. 90 miles took 2 hrs. but I think a lot of it was spent getting out of greater Charlotte. If anyone knows a more direct route let me know for next time. First stop was the answer to the old question " Why go to Seagrove for pottery?" The answer of course is "Whynot." Mark and Meredith Heywood have been making and selling pots in the crossroads south of Seagrove called Whynot for 30 years or more. They make beautiful work and are among the nicest people you'll ever meet. They were getting ready for a firing but took time to give us the grand tour of the studios and gallery during our too short visit.

There had been some discussion on " Clay Buddies" about ball openers recently. I have included pictures of one that Mark uses for larger pots. A fellow made a few some years ago with plans of mass producing them but he never did.The consensus in North Carolina seems to be that if you make bigger pots they can help you do it with less wear and tear on your body.


No visit would be complete without a stop in the gallery where we all disposed of some of our disposable income. It was a lovely visit and a stop you should make if you are ever in their neck of the woods. If you want to keep up with them from afar, Meredith writes the "Whynot Pottery Blog" blog and does it much better than mine. Don't go too far away, there are still two more installments coming soon!
Margie and Ware Cart
 
 
Ware Cart

Ball Opener for Larger Pots

Detail of Ball Opener.

Mark and Meredith in front of gallery
One of my new favorite mugs

One of Mark's Wall Sconces

 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks- you make us look like we know a thing or maybe two about pottery making. I love that mug you bought- a real keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had known you were going to be there, I would have tried to meet you. I have one of those Mark mugs too, great for a nice cold beer, I have started leaving mine in the freezer so it's perfect when I need a brew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Mark gave you the Pisgah Covered Bridge route. It'll save you tons of time and is a great scenic route to boot (c:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ya'll. Tracey, you know I look forward to the day we meet in person but it was a tight trip and I knew you were busy with your new sons and their schedule. I did not want to disrupt that. You are on top of the list next time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the currency of the Blogosphere. Remember to tip your waiter.