Friday, April 13, 2012

A Tale of Two Jugs

One of the nice things about coming home this week was that I had a kiln waiting to be opened.There were a bunch of red clay pots that I had glazed with my blue that was too thin. Not terrible but not great either. These have been reglazed and I'm firing them again.They may not work out but I didn't have much to lose by trying.The other pots included these jugs that had been sitting around for a couple of months. The taller jug was dipped in Ketchup Red then sprayed with my ash glaze (50% Ohio Slip 25% wood ash and 25% whiting.) The shorter one was sprayed with the same Ketchup Red and the same ash glaze.Same clay and they were fired side by side to cone 6. The difference? Where it is thin, Ketchup breaks to blue or black. The sprayed glaze was thinner giving the two pots totally different looks from the same glazes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the currency of the Blogosphere. Remember to tip your waiter.