Monday, June 7, 2010


A couple of years ago I attended a week long workshop presented by Gay Smith. She is a wonderful potter and puts on an intense but thoroughly enjoyable workshop. Even though she didn't think I was paying attention I had a great time and learned some new tricks. (While I will admit to doing that guy thing of listening while looking like I was doing something else, I was really listening). I have been doing more production pots this year but it occurred to me that if I didn't practice some of the skills I had learned I might forget them all together. Anyway, to get to the point, this is my Gay Smith inspired teapot.

Loyal readers will recall a dry nasty looking woodfire experience I mentioned in my last post. Well, someone suggested that a teaspoon of Gerstley Borate and a pinch of Bentonite in a cup of hot water sprayed on the pots would provide enough flux to shine up the pots when fired to cone 6 in an electric kiln. (Be sure you put wads under them and use a good coat of kiln wash on your shelves just in case). It seemed to work best where there was some ash deposit but saved most of the pots from meeting the "Hammer of Truth".

Finally, the smoked chicken recipe from last time should start out -  Put TWO split chickens on the grill. It was much too good to only do one. Hope to see some of you at Waynesville this Saturday. It looks like the show site is being moved closer to the center of town. That should help.

1 comment:

  1. Someone is sure glad that worked out. I am pretty pleased with my results too.


Comments are the currency of the Blogosphere. Remember to tip your waiter.