Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Recipe and Some Self Promotion

When I started writing this blog, one of the first things I said was that I was not going to bore you by writing about what I had for breakfast. Well, this one is about dinner and eventually pottery. Tina and I were spending a quiet Christmas together. No reason for a big feast. No reason to eat hot dogs either. I bought a ham and a big bag of "Normandy Vegetables ". I knew they weren't really from the coast of France but they looked pretty good anyway.I put the ham in the oven and decided to improvise a casserole with the veggies. The bag contained broccoli, cauliflower, yellow carrot slices, and baby orange carrots. I added a diced onion. I put the veggies in the microwave to defrost them while I made cheese sauce. Tablespoon of butter, tablespoon of flour, cook for a minute then add milk stirring all the time. White sauce sounds a little intimidating and I can't even spell what the French call it. For a country boy, butter gravy about sums it up. Salt, pepper, and a good dash of hot sauce or two to bring out the flavor of the cheese. I used a 4 cheese Mexican blend but make yourself happy. Cheese up the sauce to taste then take it off the heat and stir in a couple of eggs. I then took a WHISTLECREEK baking dish, buttered it and dusted with generic seasoned bread crumbs. Spoon the veggies into the dish and pour in cheese sauce to cover.Top with more crumbs and a little butter. I just made another one but the ham was gone so I chopped up some cooked chicken breast and added it. Put in the oven set it to 350 and let er go until the casserole bubbles and the crumbs brown.     ( 45 minutes or so.)  this is absolutely delicious and much much healthier than the mac and cheese that it resembles.

Oh yeah, I promised we would get to the pottery part. I have been using Hansen's 5x20 glaze with zircopax and a little cobalt carb on some of my baking dishes.( Thanks Tony ) The second picture will give you an idea of how well the glaze cleans up. Even with all the cheese, the casserole just scoops out and the dish is clean. Try this recipe yourself and you will love it. Of course if you don't have a WHISTLECREEK baking dish your results may vary but we can fix that. Thanks for stopping by.




16 comments:

  1. Oh Dennis, that looks yummy! And the casserole doesn't look bad either! Hope ya'll stayin' warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it won't look or taste as good in a pyrex glass dish, that looks soooo good!
    and yep, I'm a blue pottery fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clean as a whistle! Butter sauce......;)! Everything taste better with butter sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! Butter sauce, you taught me something new.
    Bechamel, is what this French girl calls the white sauce... no egg though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice dish! And good for you making a casserole with a béchamel base... I'm sure it was delicious, most French food is! I'm testing for a vibrant blue to go over the red clay soon, might try the 5x20 with 1.75-3 % cobalt...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good looking glaze that cleans up easily! Definitely a four star **** result!
    Love the way the casserole looks in the pot. Chefs always say that we taste with our eyes first. This bellows, EAT ME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy food, yummy glaze on yummy pot! So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew it was called bechamel, I just couldn't spell it ! Spell check suggested chameleon . It's clear that you are all keeping your resolutions to be nice this year. Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How can I reach you (short of driving to another state to meet you) and buy one or more of your items?

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, that looks delicious and the pot does clean up so nicely

    ReplyDelete
  11. Connie. Thank you for your interest but I do not ship pots. I'm mostly in this for the fun of it and selling online and shipping pots just creates a layer of work that I don't have time or space for.Shipping is also very expensive for the occasional user as well and in my opinion lifts many pots out of the affordable range.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand Dennis; though very disappointed of course. Will you be at the Cincinnati Spring Pottery Fair in 2015? If so, I'll hire someone in Cincinnati to go to the fair, find you, pick out two pieces that I have in mind (hopefully you will have them in the booth) and take them to a post, pack and ship store and drop them off. I'll work with the store to ship to me. Let me know if you'll be there?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank You. I'll be there. Already paid my booth fee. I'm generally the first booth on the left as you enter the show off Madison Rd.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there some way I can add photo to this post to tell you what I'm hoping to find in your booth?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  16. email sleeplatefishoften@yahoo.com on A Recipe and Some Self Promotion

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the currency of the Blogosphere. Remember to tip your waiter.