Tuesday, November 29, 2016

THE BIG SHOW

Hi everyone. I know I'm way past due for an update but I guess Blogger still works. Actually, after my last big weekend of shows in Sept. my good camera got packed away in my pottery boxes and I didn't find it until last week.I had a great time helping my buddies Mike and Karen Baum at the Western North Carolina Pottery Festival the first weekend of November Beautiful weather, excellent sales and as always a chance to see old friends and make new ones.

I typically do a club show for Christmas but the venue moved and plans were shaky so I asked my buddy Daniel who runs the OLD MILFORD OPRY if I could do a POP UP SHOP with some friends. It helped that I run the Thursday night jam sessions there and he agreed to let us use the building. He also insisted that I headline the Opry show after the pottery show. I ended up being there almost 15 hours straight but it was a great day.

This idea had struck me in late August. I gathered five friends that I thought would work well together and that I would like to spend a day with so I guess it was an invitational show. I ended up with five potters and a jeweler. I could not have chosen a better group of people. We had postcards printed up in time to start passing them out at September shows. We also started a Facebook campaign that increased in intensity as we got closer to our date which happened to be the Saturday of the big Christmas kick off in town and Small Business Saturday.

The big day rolled around and I was a little nervous. You never know what to expect the first time you do a show but this worked out great. I rolled into town about 7 AM and the others followed soon after.Set up was smooth and kind of a rhythm fell into place as people smoothly passed each other and held the door as needed. There was a little extra room which made for easy set up and no squabbles. I basically set up my own booth, made a couple of executive decisions, and everyone pitched in to do things like set up the treat table etc. By 10 people were coming in the door and carriages were rolling down the street. Sales were strong early as established customers showed up in response to postcards. I had sold several hundred dollars worth by noon and everyone else looked to be doing well too.Traffic increased in the PM but more were strollers looking for a free cookie. Sales were still good and we also made some contacts. Apparently I will be featured in the local newspaper this week and the library would like a pre show display if it all works out to repeat next year. We are all willing if the pieces fall into place.

About 4PM we started knocking down and getting ready for my 7PM concert. Again, the smoothest crew I've seen. Everyone worked until everyone was done and the room was clean and reset.I didn't have to assign tasks or tell people to help. It was great and I really appreciate how well every single person pitched in. Here are booth shots. I didn't get one of Jeanette because her booth was crammed with people.

Yvonne Cooper

One angle of my booth

Another

One more

Rob Weingartner

Bev O'Daniel

Pam Duncan


By 5:30 we were basically packed. I sat for a few minutes, grabbed a quick bite and tuned the guitar. My friends Dean and Dave had agreed to help back me up and they showed up about 6. Dean even had a complete sound system with him ! Sure is great to have friends. An audience showed up and I started singing at 7. I think we did about 50 songs from 1850 to 1950. When I finally slid off the stool at 9 I had to hold on to someone to stand up but it was a great day and evening . The audience seemed happy and nearly everyone stayed until the bitter end.

Super big thanks to friends family customers audience and everyone who showed up. ESPECIALLY BIG THANKS TO DANIEL FARLOW'S OLD MILFORD OPRY and MODERN INSURANCE STORE for their support and friendship.My take away from this, If you put a group together for anything, Find people who concentrate on PITCH IN instead of BITCH IN.

25 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you had a successful day. Your hard work paid off. Do you think this will turn into an annual event?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does. Everyone was interested in coming back.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you are setting up the mugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It displays 32 mugs at eye level. When I'm not trying to hide a coke machine I set it up at the front of the booth with its' back against the end of a table. Like that, it essentially takes up no space.

      Delete
  3. your booth is so organized and visually appealing and a great to have an indoor venue too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to have the blog to keep the history of the event...a nice archive! What fun it sounds, though exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a terrific venue! the show looked great, agree with Meredith on those mugs! Happy Holidays Dennis 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this show is truly big. The photos are really good. At some domestic LA event venues I also would be hosting the wedding expo for promoting my event planning business. I have been thinking to use different themes for all the expos so we can grab new clients easily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely display,good to see all the things well organised.Would love to see more from your side.Have a look at http://www.potterymarket.co.uk/ for varities of pottery,decorative and gifting items.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful collection.Thanks for sharing the post. you can check the site https://anntubbsmaiolicapottery.blogspot.com/ if you are interested in pottery, decorative and gifting items.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Qatar Airways is one more high class flight service provider based at Doha. Although it is a newcomer, but in a little time Qatar airlines have earned a great name in air service industry. Immobilien in Budapest

    ReplyDelete
  10. تسعى مصانع عبوات بلاستيك في مصر إلى تحقيق الاستدامة في عمليات الإنتاج والحفاظ على البيئة، حيث تتبنى هذهذه المصانع سياسات وإجراءات تهدف إلى تقليل النفايات وإعادة تدوير المواد البلاستيكية واستخدام الموارد الطبيعية بشكل فعال، وذلك للحد من الآثار البيئية السلبية لصناعة البلاستيك.

    ReplyDelete
  11. يمكن مشاهدةُ الدوالي بالعين المجردة حيث انها تظهر على شكل بروزٍ تحت الجلد عادةً، وخصوصًا عندما يكون الأشخاصُ في وضعيَّة الوقوف , كذلك يمكن لتَخطيط الصَّدَى أن يكتشف وجود الدوالي، ولكنَّه لا يُجرى عادةً إلا إذا اعتقد الأطباء وجودَ خَلَلٍ وَظيفِيٍّ في الأوردة العميقة كل ماعليك القيام به هو الاستعانة بالدكتور محمود ناصر افضل دكتور متخصص في علاج انسداد شرايين الساق في مصر.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please Read.You have a great post here, Have anyone here know Goji Berries... yes... I tried those too.For my health conditions, Those sweet, red berries seemed to help, but only during the time when I consumed them. I don't want to take a drug for the rest of my life, so why would I want to take a natural supplement everyday for the rest of my life (although Goji berries are very tasty and are highly nourishing). To me this was not a cure either (and I'm LOOKING for the CURE).
    Up to that point, I hadn't found a cure. I felt like a young jumbled mess. I continued to have extreme pain, but continued on my path to healing. I started to focus on myself and not everyone else. When I was a young adult, I took on too much responsibility out of a sense of obligation. This was no longer healthy for me, so I resigned from all my projects and groups. Those days to come were the best [and worst] days. I took a lot of time off work, yet begun to feel so extremely exhausted. Many health professionals "diagnosed" me with adrenal fatigue & Hiv,Prostate Cancer so my situation was annoying then I keep searching for permanent cure online that's when I came to know of Dr jekawo herbal doctor hands whom god has blessed with ancestral powers and a gift to heal people with disease like .Cancers,Alzheimer's disease,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Diabetes, Multiple myeloma, Parkinson's disease,Neuroendocrine tumors,Herpes, Hiv/Aids,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,, chronic diarrhea, COPD, Hepatitis... So I made a purchase of his herbal medicines and I have been watching my health for 6 years now and I actually confirmed that his herbal medicines are a permanent cure and I'm so happy that I came to know of his herbal healings.You can contact Dr Jekawo herbal doctor Email: drjekawo@gmail.com if you went through exactly what I go through in terms of health conditions because to be honest there is more to learn about natural herbs than medical drugs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the currency of the Blogosphere. Remember to tip your waiter.