Monday, May 21, 2012

WIN SOME, LOSE SOME

That telltale plunking sound I heard when I was loading the big bowl must have just been my heart skipping a beat. The big guy came out fine. However (here comes a cautionary tale) I did have a 12 lb pot blow sky high. I knew it was not dry but I gave everything an extra long preheat that should have dried out a wet mule BUT I put a teapot inside it. I think the tea pot kept a portion of the big pot from drying completely. From the looks of the damage, the bottom of the pot exploded, lifted the tea pot until it crashed against the shelf above it.The teapot  broke to smithereens then fell back to where it came from.. All damage was contained inside the big pot and there was no kiln damage. You live, you learn, you adjust. Unless you are a man then you just keep doing the same stupid things and hoping for better results. Thanks for stopping by.







7 comments:

  1. Being a man has nothing to do with it, I still blow stuff up! So glad the big bowl came out, when I saw your title I just knew it had cracked or something! Have fun glazing that sucker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness gracious, great balls of fire! And so forth...too bad that you lost those two great forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support. Barb, I only lost the 12 pounder and a so so teapot the big bowl is fine.Tracey, I'll take it outside and spray it, no big deal.I'm sure as heck not dipping it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so sad, so sorry.
    we push things to the limit for drying too...our schedule is to dry things by keeping the bisque at under 200 degrees for a few hours after loading in the evening... then in the morning firing at our usual schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, stuff happens. Just make another one. Or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup Hollis, that about sums up my feelings.It wasn't promised to anyone and I can make more.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the currency of the Blogosphere. Remember to tip your waiter.