Monday, May 25, 2009

Like a Ton of Bricks

For the last two weeks, I have been glazing pots at Middletown. Jean Ann has packed the gas kiln and I expect she will fire it tomorrow and unload Thursday.That should make for some new pictures for next week.

The big news is that I was given several tons of kiln brick so I may be able to build my own soda kiln later this year.The brick are mainly arches and keys so I'm thinking of a sprung arch built on top of a low wall, sort of a modified Groundhog kiln. I'm really excited but as they say there is no free lunch. My brother made the trip with me to pick up the first load last week. We immediately got his truck stuck up to the frame and had to get it towed out. After that it was pretty smooth but loading and unloading bricks all day Friday has sent me to the Aleve bottle all weekend. Weather permitting ,I'm going for another load tomorrow.

On the upcoming sales front,I'm planning on trying Waynesville again on June 14.Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like WORK and you have only begun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats... a ton of free bricks is nothing to sneeze at, you could alternate the archers and have squiggly walls

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the currency of the Blogosphere. Remember to tip your waiter.